Monday, June 6, 2011

O Sister Where Are Thou?



    
     Take a moment to listen to The Secret Sisters of Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Laura and Lydia Rogers have a sweet harmony, and I'm pretty sure having T Bone Burnett produce your debut album is a magical musical blessing. He signed on after spending time with them and hearing their angelic voices.






Here they are with the Levon Helm Band:




Pretty heady stuff for a couple of barely twenty-something Alabama girls.

Check out Tennessee Me:



     "It took an impromptu Nashville audition by Laura – where Cobb and a few other music business representatives were looking to possibly craft a new singing group last fall – to bring their incredible talents into focus. “Lydia was delayed so I drove up by myself,” says Laura. “I didn’t think I had a chance.” The song she chose was by singer Brandi Carlile – “Same Old You.” “I didn’t know if I did well or not.”

     By the time she got home her phone was ringing off the hook with messages from representatives from the audition asking her back. Cobb remembers being blown away immediately. “We were looking for a whole different thing,” he admits. “But when I heard Laura I was just knocked out. I’d never heard anything like it, at least in person. There was something so innocent about her style in a ‘40s or ‘50s kind of way. So clear and classic. When she told us she had a sister, we all looked at each other in disbelief.”

     Lydia showed up later, and when the two were asked to sing together, all the music business representatives present realized the mission was a simple one: To capture this abundance of raw talent in its purest form. The Secret Sisters were born.

     In a matter of days the girls were flown to Los Angeles to record a couple of demos. “Here we were, just a couple of Alabama girls suddenly coming face to face with our dream,” says Lydia. For Laura, it was her first time in an airplane. “You can’t imagine what was going through my head,” she laughs. “The whole thing was starting to become a fairy tale.”

     Godspeed to The Secret Sisters. I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more from them.







Love from Delta.

No comments:

Post a Comment