Recently, a vegan friend (yes, omnivores and vegans can be fond of one another) sent me a darling little book called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I have never attempted to bake without my precious Diablo and Poseidon eggs (and Publix eggs before them), but I may well do so after reading some of these mouth-watering recipes. The margarita cupcakes look especially interesting . . . one is forced to purchase tequila to create them. One is probably expected to have a margarita or two while stirring, as well. I'm just sayin'.
There are some terrific tips in this book, and even I—Queen of 300,000 Baking Sessions—learned a thing or two. According to the authors, a surefire way to get people to look at your blog is by posting pictures of cupcakes.
|Auburn National Championship|
|Deep Chocolate Madness|
|Milk Chocolate with Strawberry Buttercream and Chocolate Ganache|
|Chocolate Cherry Fudge|
|French Vanilla with Chocolate Buttercream|
|Milk Chocolate Minis with Vanilla Icing and Cocoa Sprinkles|
|Chocolate with Mint Cream and Ganache|
|Fresh Strawberry with Strawberry Buttercream and Chocolate Ganache|
|French Vanilla with Chocolate Ganache and Vanilla Buttercream|
|Vanilla Snowball Cupcakes|
|Vanilla with Vanilla Buttercream|
|Chocolate with Chocolate Buttercream and Deep Chocolate Drizzle|
|Banana Chunky Monkey|
|Triple Chocolate in a box|
|Strawberry with Strawberry Buttercream|
|Strawberry with Fresh Strawberries, Strawberry Buttercream and Chocolate Drizzle|
|Valentine's Day Collection|
I admit it: I am somewhat ovo-dependent . . . but I am going to try Lisa's cupcake book, because I love the way it is written.
Here are some tips from the book:
- "Baked stuff cools quicker and more evenly when set on a cooling rack. And without them the bottoms of cooling cupcakes can get soggy—so sad." Yup.
- For decorating, get a small metal frosting spatula (also referred to as a palette knife). Great for spreading thick frostings into a smooth, swooping finish.
- "Use an ice cream scooper with a release mechanism for easy pouring and filling."
- "Spray your batter pouring implement with cooking spray before dipping it in the batter."
- "Make sure that the cupcakes are fully cooled before filling or icing, unless otherwise indicated in a recipe. Spreading icing onto a still-warm cupcake is the work of fools."
- Cute toppers: Cinnamon sticks, vegan gummies, gel fruit slices, colorful, fun-shaped kid's vegan breakfast cereals (I use the regular, sugary, evil kind.), chocolate-covered pretzels, edible flowers, Scrabble pieces, small plastic farm animals, fake flowers
I have baked them with love for countless people, and I know this much: cupcakes make folks smile.
I like that.
Lisa might just find a little vegan sumpin'-sumpin' in her mailbox someday.
Love from Delta.