Saturday, June 29, 2024

A Place Where We Be Long Sometimes

 



I’ve decided one of the hurricane forces of human nature is the desire to belong. I’m no philosopher, nor psychologist, but it occurs to me this need is Category 5-strong for most of us.

Whether it’s your church congregation or alumni group or political party, you are driven by a yearning to connect with like minds and hearts.

It’s a tale as old as time and as young as social media. Some former hermits have found connection via MySpace and then Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok. No one lives under a rock anymore. Despite the negative aspects of an online presence, most of us are unwilling to give it up. (And we want very much to show you our rock. Please give it a Like.)

Mark Zuckerberg appreciates your support.

At its heart is connection, the drive to reach out with an idea and hear “I feel that way, too.” The desire to connect motivates artists and writers and all those Hollywood actors desperate for your approval. They certainly enjoy money, but they like living in your head even more.

Maybe we’re being exploited, but I need Louise’s failproof recipe for pot roast and Annette’s latest hilarious meme and Jim’s terrible puns.

One way I connect with others is via the most absurd wordplay I can conjure. I am an Old South punslinger (as opposed to Old West gunslinger, for those who speak Literal).

I’ll meet you at Hi! Noon, on Facebook or Instagram. 











Love from Delta.





No comments:

Post a Comment