Saturday, December 29, 2012

Happy New Year!



     Well, the Mayans screwed up and we're still here. For those who took the movie 2012 literally (I know one or two who qualify), that was either a massive disappointment or cause for celebration. Haven't checked with them yet.

     We are left contemplating fiscal cliffs, a possible talk show for Snooki, Ryan Seacrest's New Year's Eve gala and other assorted gloom and doom scenarios.

     I had a discussion with a close friend over the holidays about doomsday preppers. She maintains she has no desire to prepare for a post-apocalyptic world and would be happy to be gone. I wholeheartedly agree. Y'all stock up on pallets of toilet paper, pork and beans and munitions. I'm not planning to stick around for helping to catch and train pet cockroaches.

     Amid the endless blather about The End Of The World As We Know It, one can find cool stuff to be excited about. Here is one:





    
     Wired called this "the best gesture-control system we've ever tested." The Verge called it "the next big thing in computing."

     Leap Motion has already received preorders worth tens of millions of dollars, says Andy Miller, the company’s president and COO. He is a former top executive at Apple, and his team is packed with Apple vets. Leap Motion was founded in 2010 by Michael Buckwald, a serial entrepreneur who serves as CEO, and David Holz, a former NASA engineer who previously was working at NASA. Holz’s official title is CTO but he lists himself on LinkedIn as a “mad scientist.” One of their first investors was Marc Andreessen, the founder of Netscape.

     Amazing technology, and it's going to sell for—gasp—about seventy dollars. This means I may actually be able to play video games for the first time in my life without controller agony. I am excited! The possibilities are endless. For more details, click here.

     I choose to believe 2013 is going to bring great things, because my glass is perennially half-full to full. My rose colored glasses are on (they block Fox News reception) and I am keeping it that way. May your New Year be blessed with joy.






Love from Delta.

No comments:

Post a Comment