Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Songs of the South



"Well, you're not supposed
To say the word "cancer"
In a song.
And tellin' folks that Jesus is the answer
Can rub 'em wrong.
It ain't hip to sing about
Tractors, trucks, little towns or mama.
Yeah, that might be true.
But this is country music,
And we do."

- Brad Paisley

Brad has inspired me to compile a list of truly great country songs. If you're country-music-resistant or very young, there may be some new ones here for you.
In any event, this eclectic little group contains  . . .
a) seminal songs in history
and/or
b) stuff I really like. A lot.

Ancient Era:

Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean - 1961
My children were forced to listen to this from an early age. A coal mining tale with a giant of a man. I have always loved the machismo and Jimmy's voice, and it can still give me chills.

I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
A performance when Johnny was, like, twelve. Classic.

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash - 1963
Even more classic. This really makes me smile.

Hello Darling - Conway Twitty
Heart-wrenching. Hello, Conway. (Check out those sideburns.)

He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
Goosebumps.

I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair - George Jones
The Possum gets a little wild.

Kiss an Angel Good Morning - Charlie Pride
This is the reason Darius Rucker occasionally thanks him in acceptance speeches. Great song.
 
More Recent, But in No Particular Order:

A Country Boy Can Survive - Hank Williams, Jr.
An anthem.

Song of the South - Alabama
Please watch this video. Please watch it full-screen. Please turn it up.
(Jacksonville State University's own Randy Owen is nicely featured here, too.)

My Home's in Alabama - Alabama
Because I love it.

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
(You knew it would appear here.)
This is a clip of a live performance many, many years ago. Might inspire some to look up the word "hippie".

The Back of Your Hand - Dwight Yoakam
This is, quite simply, a beautiful song.

Brokenheartsville - Joe Nichols
I love Joe Nichols, and his obsession with Coupe de Villes, too.

Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley & Alison Krauss
See: He Stopped Loving Her Today above

Long Black Train - Josh Turner
His voice is nothing short of amazing, and this is a great song.

Life in a Northern Town - Sugarland and Little Big Town
Any list would have to include this one.

There.
It's a country music sampler. Obviously, I've left out three zillion songs, and you're welcome to post your favorites in the "Comments" section.
I would love to hear them.

PS - My adorable, wonderful Cousin Debi added this one, and it is SO appropriate!
The Greatest Country Western Song Ever Written/You Never Even Called Me By My Name - David Allan Coe
Watch it all the way to the end...

Love from Delta.

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous blog! I love all these! you and I are truly SISTERS in so many ways and tastes.
    I have included this song because it is fun to sing along and whenever two or more of my UCONN buddies are together in a bar. we always sing it.
    hang in there until the end.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEo8poVlQrM
    The Greatest Country Western Song Ever Written
    by David Alan Coe
    A. Nony Mous loves her cousin so much!

    ReplyDelete